Challenges exist in developing competitive technologies and processes that can reduce the cost and increase the efficiency of producing biofuels, products, and power. Efficiencies can be achieved by increasing the yields derived from biochemical and thermochemical conversion of forest feedstocks, as well as developing new product streams from this material. Critical areas of research include developing:
- wood-based biofuels, chemicals and products that economically substitute for petroleum-based materials;
- economically efficient biorefinery concepts and processes;
- efficient treatments to extract high-value compounds from lignin;
- processes to refine pyrolysis oils; and
- more efficient, cleaner gasification methods.