• Consider constructed wetlands, sand filters,
and other alternatives to mechanical systems
for sewage treatment.
• Install water-conserving fixtures.
• Conserve water through such strategies as
water harvesting with cisterns, xeriscaping, and
• Install porous paving to minimize erosion and to
“recharge” the groundwater.
• Rather than building anew, recycle or adaptively
reuse a building for a new purpose.
• Design flexible interiors that can be converted
to other uses.
• Encourage visitor and employee recycling
through well-placed and marked containers and
• Seek building materials with high recycled
content and low “embodied energy.”