• Introduce daylight into interior spaces through
careful placement of large, high windows and
clerestory windows for balanced light.
• In appropriate settings, use thick, massive
walls such as masonry, earth walls, and straw
bales designed at the correct thermal mass
to retain and release heat.
• Insulate roofs to maintain desired interior
• Locate mechanical systems centrally for
efficient distribution of heat, cooling, and power.
• In mild climates, consider using operable
windows and other measures to reduce the
need for mechanical ventilation.
• Consider ground-coupled heat pumps, passive
solar, and other energy-saving heating