Part 1: Principles Common to All Provinces
The charettes revealed characteristics shared by
all eight provinces. This section includes a series
of universal principles that apply in the following
areas of design:
• Recreation Opportunity Spectrum (ROS)—
an inventory and management tool for
• Site planning—the arrangement of buildings
and parking within the landscape.
• Forest Service image and identity—signs,
kiosks, and information boards.
• Sustainability—the creation of healthy built
environments by minimizing the use of
resources and conserving ecosystems.
• Structures—common principles, such as
massing and scale, materials, and colors, for
structures from offices to picnic shelters.
• Urban settings and townscapes—design,
siting, and reuse of existing buildings.