• Use solar heat and energy—an abundant
resource in this area.
• Pursue simple technologies such as passive solar
as well as active solar such as photovoltaics.
• Employ solar chimneys for cooling.
• Use evaporative cooling (“swamp coolers”),
which is preferable to air conditioning.
• Employ “xeriscape” using drought-tolerant plants.
• Use gravel mulch in landscaping.
• Minimize irrigation.
• Minimize site disturbance.
• Harvest water in cisterns.
• Grade to direct water runoff to vegetation.
• Use locally available natural materials rather
than synthetic, manufactured materials that
must be imported.
• Recycle graywater for landscape irrigation.
• See the “Common Principles” section in the
introduction of this chapter for more
recommendations on sustainability.
Figure of building that maximizes solar gain and daylighting.