• Minimize site disturbance by following the
contours of the land and locating structures
near existing utilities.
• Minimize the construction of new roads and parking.
• Use local and indigenous building materials.
• Integrate passive solar into building design with
proper orientation, massing, window location,
shading, ventilation, and shade structures.
• Use natural, nontoxic building materials that
require little maintenance. Use photovoltaics
for supplementary power.
• Use thick, massive walls for thermal mass,
such as masonry, earth walls, and so forth.
• Emphasize water conservation in fixtures,
water harvesting, xeriscaping, and gray-water
• See the “Common Principles” section in the
introduction of this chapter for more
recommendations on sustainability.