• Adapt existing buildings for new uses.
• “Deconstruct” and recycle building parts.
• Avoid skylights because of snow maintenance
• Use earth-berming and structure
to protect buildings from
• See the “Common Principles”
section in the introduction to this
chapter for more
Figure of building with daylighting maximized by adding
high windows for additional daylighting.
Figure of Earth berm protecting a building
from northwest winds
Figure of natural landscaping on the
prevailing wind side of a building.