Interagency Special Status /
Sensitive Species Program (ISSSSP)
Conservation Planning Documents
Candidate Species Assessments and Listing Priority Assignments
Candidate Species Assessments and Listing Priority Assignments are conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Candidate species are plants and animals for which the Service has sufficient information on their biological status and threats to propose them as endangered or threatened under the Endangered Species Act, but for which development of a listing regulation is precluded by other higher priority listing activities.
The Candidate Conservation Program provides a means for conserving these species. Early conservation preserves management options, minimizes the cost of recovery, and reduces the potential for restrictive land use policies in the future. Effective candidate conservation may reverse the species' decline, ultimately eliminating the need for ESA protection.
This section includes the species assessments completed for Candidate species, but additional species information may be found at http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/StateListing.do?state=all&status=candidate.
- Centrocercus urophasianus, Greater sage grouse, June 2007 - Adobe .pdf File - 234K
- Coccyzus americanus, Yellow-billed cuckoo - April 2011 - Adobe .pdf File - 1.8M
- Eremophila alpestris strigata, Streaked horn lark - April 2010 - Adobe .pdf File - 214K
- Euphydryas editha taylori, Whulge checkerspot - April 2010 - Adobe .pdf File - 256K
- Gulo gulo, Wolverine - 2011 - Adobe .pdf file - 148K
- Polites mardon, Mardon skipper - April 2010 - Adobe .pdf File - 258K
- Martes pennanti, Fisher - May 2011 - Adobe .pdf File - 271K
- Rana luteiventris, Columbia spotted frog - April 2011 - Adobe .pdf File - 228K
- Rana pretiosa, Oregon spotted frog - May 2011 - Adobe .pdf File - 1.6M
- Urocitellus washingtoni, Washington ground squirrel - May 2010 - Adobe .pdf File - 238K
- Thomomys mazama, Mazama pocket gopher and nine subspecies - April 2010 - Adobe .pdf File - 216K
- Artemisia campestris ssp. borealis var. wormskioldii, Northern wormwood - May 2011 - Adobe .pdf File - 85K
- Calochortus persistens, Siskiyou mariposa lily - March 2011 - Adobe .pdf File - 481K
- Eriogonum codium, Umtanum desert buckwheat - April 2010 - Adobe .pdf File - 144K
- Physaria tuplashensis, White bluffs bladderpod (previously Lesquerella tuplashensis) - April 2010 - Adobe .pdf File - 145K