Rustbusters 2005 convened September 21-23 in Yreka, California, headquarters of the Klamath National Forest. The agenda and photos from this meeting can be accessed through links on the left of this page.
Rustbusters is an informal and wide-ranging discussion forum on topics relating to White Pine Blister Rust in North America. Past meetings have been organized around these and similar issues:
- Round-robin updates on projects and programs (structured by geographic area)
- Blister rust resistance mechanisms/phenotypes/responses/interactions
- Durability of resistance in the field
- Operational inoculation protocols and problems
- Ribes issues: cultivation (commercial & experimental) & resistance to WPBR
- Genetic variation in the pathogen
- Use of molecular tools for population genetics and genomics
- White pine host species and rust conditions in Central America, Europe, and Asia
- Strategies for development of resistant populations
- Funding opportunities
The field trip to the Happy Camp Outplant site (which is near the town of Happy Camp, west of Yreka along the Klamath River) is being organized by Dean Davis and Deems Burton, long-term and knowledgeable rust colleagues. We will provide ample time to tour the site, learn about the many WPBR-resistance trials planted there, and discuss implications of findings from past and current research and development.
Our list of discussion items is not exclusive: we welcome your suggestions for topics. Write to either Joan Dunlap or Detlev Vogler, and we will make time for your interests and presentations. Generally, this meeting attracts about 20 participants. An agenda is forthcoming.
A block of rooms has been reserved at the AmeriHost Inn Yreka. Rooms are available at $55.00 per night plus tax. AmeriHost has an indoor pool with several restaurants within walking distance.
Note: Use the group ID "Rustbusters" when making reservations and be sure to make your reservations by September 14th. AmeriHost's phone number is (530) 841-1300.