This site is experiencing technical difficulties and is not currently being updated. Please check back frequently as we are working on a solution. In the interim, please visit the Deschutes and Ochoco National Forests website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/centraloregon, the Prineville BLM at http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/prineville/ or the Prineville/Sisters Units of Central Oregon District of the Oregon Department of Forestry at http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/Pages/field/jd/aboutus.aspx
East Slope Oregon Training Committee - Charter
In accordance with the PNWCG Training Committee charter, agreed upon by the Wildland Fire Protection Agencies of Oregon and Washington, the purpose of this Charter is to establish a standing interagency training committee and to set forth guidelines and procedures by which the East Slope Training Committee will operate.
To provide an efficient and effective way to meet fire program training needs through an interagency forum, and to develop a process for coordinating agency sponsored training.
- The following procedures will govern the operation of the East Slope Training
- Membership in the committee shall include fire program training officers
from the East Slope Wildland fire Suppression Agencies and Community
College, [s] within the area. Agencies not responsible for wildland suppression
be included on a majority vote of all members.
- The Committee Chair position shall be rotated every two  years among
- The chairperson shall be rotated in the following order: Deschutes
/ Ochoco NF; US Fish & Wildlife, Klamath Basin Refuge; COFIA;
ODF, Central Oregon; BIA, Warm Springs, Winema NF, BLM, Prineville;
ODF, Klamath-Lake; National Park Service, Crater Lake.
- This order may be preempted by agreement of the committee.
- Chair duties shall include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting the meetings and phone conferences,
- Acting as primary contact between the PNWCG Training Working
Team and the Committee,
- Attending the Pacific Northwest Training Officers meeting,
- Coordinating with the Community College[s] Program Coordinator[s],
- Coordinating between Committee members,
- Coordinating between other area training committees,
- Insuring the Committees adherence to the East Slope Training
- The Committee Secretary position shall be rotated every two  years
among the membership agencies.
- After serving as Secretary, the person will rotate into the Committee
- This order may be preempted by agreement of the committee.
- Secretary duties shall include, but are not limited to:
- Taking or have taken the minutes of meetings or phone conferences,
- Distributing said minutes,
- Assisting the Chair with correspondence and other work as requested.
- Duties of the committee members will include:
- Determining their agencies needs and documenting them on forms
provided by this committee.
- Identifying all course nominees.
- Identify and provide initial contact to lead instructors with their
- Coordinate course monitoring and instructor evaluations.
- Assist with annual course scheduling.
- The following guidelines and procedures will govern the coordination of
- The East Slope Training Committee shall:
- Identify interagency area training issues and concerns and recommend
policy to the PNWCG Training Committee with regard to training.
- Develop, maintain, and distribute a comprehensive schedule of all
area sponsored training courses.
- Meet a minimum of three times annually. A meeting preceding annual
training [October], a winter meeting [January], and a spring meeting
meetings may be varied as deemed necessary by the group. Conference
calls may be held once a month during the training season [November,
February, March, April, and June].
- Encourage all area training to be as interagency as possible by
promoting lead instructors and instructors to represent all area
- Compose and distribute letters of acknowledgement or appreciation
to lead instructors for their efforts supporting the East Slope training
These letters will be routed to the employee through their supervisors
for the purpose of performance evaluation considerations.
- Monitor course content and instructor effectiveness through: student
evaluations, community college [s] evaluations and occasionally attending
evaluations will be reported to the East Slope Training Committee
at a regularly scheduled meeting by Community College Program Coordinators.
- Specific training needs analysis and nomination process for Area, PNWCG
sponsored courses will be as follows:
- The East Slope Training Committee will distribute a "needs
analysis form with instructions to agency fire program training officers
31. The completed forms will be returned to the Committee Chair by
- The area training needs will be compiled and forwarded to the PNWCG
training committee by the East Slope Chairperson no later than March
1 each year.
- The East Slope Committee and Community College[s] Program Coordinator[s]
will consolidate area needs and jointly develop an area-training
- Slot allocations for area sponsored training will occur no later
than October 20 each year, when deemed necessary,and be summarized
the Community College[s] Program Coordinator[s].
- Candidates for area training will be controlled by the sending
agency. Private or non-agency candidates will be coordinated/controlled
Community College[s] Program Coordinator[s]. Final trainee selection
will be by the
lead instructor based on fulfillment of course prerequisites and/or
completion of course pre-work.
- The Community College[s] Program Coordinator[s] and the East Slope
Chairperson will determine offerings that will be open for out of
the area participation.
- Notification of trainee selection will be made available by the
Community College[s] Program Coordinator. The Community College[s]
[s] will distribute pre-course materials.
- Assuring all prerequisites are met, the Training Officer will notify
the Community College[s] Program Coordinator of any substitutions
prior to class.
If unable to substitute, the agency fire program-training officer
will notify the Community College[s] Program Coordinator[s] for redistribution
- A reasonable effort will be made by all agencies involved to fill
- If a selected student does not cancel two weeks prior to a course
or does not attend a course, that the student's agency may be billed.