(Graphic) NRCG Logo

(Home Page)

    Where To Begin
 >> (START HERE) <<


  Mobilization Guide
  Northern Rockies
  Mobilization Guide
    IIBMH (Interagency
  Incident Business
  Inspection and
  Certification Forms
    NR Dispatch Zones
  Equip Inspections /
  Personnel Quals
    Useful Links
[graphic] Color Curve

What should I do to prepare for making an agreement with the Government?


It is important to note that this information does not guarantee that you, as a contractor, will in fact be hired by any of the NRCG agencies.

The good news is that you only need to sign up once to be available to all of our interagency groups!

You should be aware that in most cases not all types of equipment are needed for all emergencies. The equipment that is used/hired is solely dependent on the nature of the emergency and the factors (such as terrain, weather, and safety factors) that exist surrounding the emergency.

STEP 1. - Recognize Incident Business Practices

Review the National Wildfire Coordination Group's (NWCG) Interagency Incident Business Management Handbook (IIBMH) requirements in CHAPTER 20. This is the PRIMARY policy and regulations governing agreements. We will call this NWCG Chapter 20.

The local area known as the Northern Rockies Coordination Group (NRCG), has a SUPPLEMENT to the Interagency Incident Business Management Handbook. It is also known as CHAPTER 20. We call this NRCG Chapter 20 to help you tell the difference between the two documents.

After reviewing these documents, if you wish to continue the process, the next steps are listed below.

STEP 2. - Getting Started (New Vendors)


• Obtain an e-mail address.  A valid e-mail address is required to register with DUNS, SAM and eAuthentication.

• Obtain a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) Number.  Provided by Dun and Bradstreet (D&B), the DUNS number is a unique nine digit identification number that is used to identify businesses working with the government on a location-specific basis.

Call the dedicated DUNS Number self-request line at 1-866-705-5711. Be sure and mention that you are obtaining this number for a "federal fire agreement."

Additional DUNS information can be found at: http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/contracting/ccr/duns_guide_gov_vendors.pdf

• Obtain an IRS Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).  For invoicing, payment, and tax purposes, you must have a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), as required by the Internal Revenue Service.

• Register with System for Award Management (SAM).  Vendors doing business with the Federal Government are required to register with the System before they can be awarded contracts, blanket agreements, blanket purchase agreements, or basic ordering agreements. In order to register with the SAM, vendors must have a DUNS Number, -and- a TIN Number.
This registration must be updated annually. There is no fee to register

The SAM collects, validates, stores, and disseminates data in support of agency acquisition missions. Vendors are required to complete a one-time registration to provide basic information relevant to procurement and financial transactions. Vendors must update or renew their registration at least once per year to maintain an active status. The SAM validates vendor information and electronically shares the secure and encrypted data with the federal agencies’ finance offices to facilitate paperless payments through electronic funds transfer (EFT). Additionally, SAM shares the data with AUTHORIZED federal government procurement and electronic business systems.

Registration assistance may be obtained from the Federal Service Desk (FSD.gov) at toll free, 1-866-606-8220, or submit a question via web form to https://www.fsd.gov/fsd-gov/login.do

Once you have registered in SAM, a Trading Partner Identification Number (TPIN) is mailed to the individual identified by you as the SAM point of contact. The TPIN is the secure password for access to your firm's confidential information in the SAM database. You will use the TPIN to access and change the registration data in your profile. It is your responsibility to enter and maintain your information in the SAM database. A yearly renewal is required to keep your registration active.

More information can be found at:
System for Award Management (SAM) https://www.sam.gov

For Idaho, Montana and North Dakota, local assistance for this step can also be found at Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTAC).

• Register for a Level 2 USDA eAuthentication account.  The Level 2 eAuthentication account will be required for vendors using VIPR. It enables e-signature of preseason incident agreements.

• Register at FedBizOpps (FBO) and watch for business opportunities.  Competitive solicitations for incident support issued by the FS will be posted to FBO. FBO provides government-wide business opportunities. Every solicitation is different, so carefully read the instructions on how to submit your bids or proposals.

STEP 3. - Understand Training Requirements

See the Personnel Requirements page for more instructions on Training Requirements, Training Providers, and Safety Regulations.

STEP 4. - Contact your local area Dispatch Center
Contractors should call the Dispatch Center closest to their business for additional paperwork required and timelines for equipment inspections.

Click here for a list of Dispatch Center, contact names, and phone numbers for the Northern Rockies Geographic Centers in Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota.


NRCG Home Page | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer

Northern Rockies Coordinating Group
(406) 329-3404