Pacific Southwest Research Station
800 Buchanan Street
West Annex Building
Albany, CA 94710-0011
Ecosystem Function and Health Program
Phone: (530) 226-2550
USDA, Forest Service
Pacific Southwest Research Station
3644 Avtech Parkway
Redding, CA 96002
Ph: (530) 226-2530
Fx: (530) 226-5091
AB.S., Forestry, 1981, Shanxi Agricultural University.
M.S., Forest Resources with Forest Genetics emphasis, 1990, University of Idaho.
Ph.D, Forestry with Physiological Ecology emphasis, 1994, University of Idaho
- Zhang JW, Ritchie MW, Maguire DA, Oliver WW. In press (2013) Thinning ponderosa pine stands reduces mortality while maintaining stand productivity. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 00:000-000.
- Zhang JW, Oliver WW, Ritchie, MW, Neal DL. 2013. Overstory and understory dynamics in a ponderosa pine plantation vary with stand density in the Sierra Nevada: 40-year results. Forest Science 00:000-000.DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5849/forsci.10-033.
- Zhang JW, Powers RF, Oliver WW, Young DH. 2013. Response of ponderosa pine plantations to competing vegetation control in Northern California, USA: A meta- analysis. Forestry 86:3-11.
- Powers RF, Busse MD, McFarlane KJ, Zhang JW, Young DH. 2013. Long-term effect of silviculture on soil carbon storage. Does vegetation control make a difference? Forestry 86:47-58.
- Powers EM, Marshall JD, Zhang JW, Wei L. 2013. Post-fire management regimes affect carbon sequestration and storage in a Sierra Nevada mixed conifer forest. Forest Ecology and Management 291:268-277.
- Yang D, Zeng D-H, Zhang JW, Li L-J, Mao R. 2012. Chemical and microbial properties in contaminated soils around a magnesite mine in northeast China. Land Degradation & Development 23:256-262.
- Ponder F, Fleming RL, Berch S, Busse MD, Elioff JD, Hazlett PW, Kabzems RD, Kranabetter JM, Morris DM, Page-Dumroese D, Palik BJ, Powers RF, Sanchez FG, Scott DA, Stagg RH, Stone DM, Young DH, Zhang JW, Ludovici KH, McKenney DW, Mossa DS, Sanborn PT, Voldseth RA. 2012. Effects of organic matter removal, soil compaction and vegetation control on 10th year biomass and foliar nutrition: LTSP continent-wide comparisons. Forest Ecology and Management 278:35-54.
- Ritchie MW, Zhang JW, Hamilton TA. 2012. Effects of stand density on dominant height estimation for ponderosa pine. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 27(1):18-24.
- Yang HX, Wang SL, Zhang JW, Fan B, Zhang WD. 2011. Biomass and nutrients of Pinus massoniana plantations in southern China: simulations for different management practices. Journal of Food, Agriculture, and Environment 9(1):689-693.
- Zhang JW, Schaub M, Ferdinand JA, Skelly JM, Steiner KC, Savage JE. 2010. Leaf age affects the responses of foliar injury and gas exchange to tropospheric ozone in Prunus serotina seedlings. Environmental Pollution 158:2627-2634.
- Zhang JW, Powers RF, Skinner CN. 2010. To manage or not to manage: The role of silviculture in sequestering carbon in the specter of climate change. In: Jain, T.B.; Graham, R.T.; Sandquist, J. tech. eds. Integrated management of carbon sequestration and biomass utilization opportunities in a changing climate; pp 95-110. Proceedings of the 2009 National Silviculture Workshop, June 15-18, 2009; Boise, Idaho. RMRS-P-61.
- Zhao Q, Zeng DH, Fan ZP, Yu ZY, Hu YL, Zhang JW. 2009. Seasonal variations in phosphorus fractions in semiarid sandy soils under different vegetation types. Forest Ecology and Management 258:1376-1382.
- Wang Q, Wang S, Zhang JW. 2009. Assessing the effects of vegetation types on carbon storage fifteen years after reforestation on a Chinese fir site. Forest Ecology and Management 258:1437-1441.
- Zhang JW, Webster J, Powers RF, Mills J. 2008. Reforestation after the Fountain Fire in Northern California: an untold success story. Journal of Forestry 106(8):425-430.
- Zhang JW, Ritchie MW, Oliver WW. 2008. Vegetation response to stand structure and prescribed fire in an interior ponderosa pine ecosystem. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 38:909-918.
- Zhang JW, Ritchie MW. 2008. Restoring eastside ponderosa pine ecosystems at the Blacks Mountain Experimental Forest: a case study. In: Integrated Restoration of Forested Ecosystems to Achieve Multi-Resource Benefits, pp. 107-116 (Deal, R. tech. ed.). General Technical Report, PNW-GTR-733. Portland, Oregon, USA. USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 306 p.
- Zhang JW, Oliver WW, Ritchie MW. 2007. Effect of stand densities on stand dynamics in white fir (Abies concolor) forests in northeast California, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 244:50-59.
- Zhang JW, Oliver WW, Busse MD. 2006. Growth and development of ponderosa pine on sites of contrasting productivities: relative importance of stand density and shrub competition effects. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 36:2426-2438.
- Robison TL, Rousseau RJ, Zhang JW. 2006. Biomass productivity improvement for eastern cottonwood. Biomass and Bioenergy 30:735-739.
- Zhang JW, Oliver WW. 2006. Stand structure and growth of Abies magnifica responded to five thinning levels in northeastern California, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 223:275-283.
- Zhang JW, Cregg BM. 2005. Growth and physiological responses to varied environments among populations of Pinus ponderosa. Forest Ecology and Management 219:1-12.
- Zhang JW, Oliver WW, Powers, RF. 2005. Long-term effects of thinning and fertilization on growth of red fir in northeastern California. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35:1285-1293.
- Murthy R, Barron-Gafford G, Dougherty PM, Engel VC, Grieve K, Handley L, Klimas C, Potosnak MJ, Zarnoch SJ, Zhang JW. 2005. Increased leaf area dominates carbon flux response to elevated CO2 in stands of Populus deltoides (Bartr.). Global Change Biology 11:716-731.
- Schaub M, Skelly JM, Zhang JW, Ferdinand JA, Savage JE, Stevenson RE, Davis DD, Steiner KC. 2005. Physiological and foliar symptom response of Prunus serotina, Fraxinus americana and Acer rubrum canopy trees to ozone under differing site conditions. Environmental Pollution 133:553-567.
- Schaub M, Skelly JM, Steiner KC, Davis DD, Pennypacker SP, Zhang JW, Ferdinand JA, Savage JE, Stevenson RE. 2003. Physiological and foliar injury responses of Prunus serotina, Fraxinus americana, and Acer rubrum seedlings to varying soil moisture and ozone. Environmental Pollution 124:307-320.
- Lee JC, Steiner KC, Zhang JW, Skelly JM. 2002. Heritability of ozone sensitivity in open-pollinated families of black cherry (Prunus serotina Ehrh.). Forest Science 48(1):111-117.
- Zhang JW, Ferdinand JA, VanderHeyden DJ, Skelly JM, Innes JL. 2001. Variation of gas exchange within native plant species of Switzerland and relationships with ozone injury: an open-top experiment. Environmental Pollution 113:177-185.
- Cregg BM, Zhang JW. 2001. Physiology and morphology of Pinus sylvestris seedlings from diverse sources under cyclic drought stress. Forest Ecology and Management 154:131-139.
- VanderHeyden DJ, Skelly JM, Innes JL, Hug C, Zhang JW, Landolt W, Leuler P. 2001. Ozone exposure thresholds and foliar injury on forest plants in Switzerland. Environmental Pollution 111:321-331.
- Lee JC, Skelly JM, Steiner KC, Zhang JW, Savage JE. 1999. Foliar response of black cherry (Prunus serotina) clones to ambient ozone exposure in central Pennsylvania. Environmental Pollution 105:325-331.
- Skelly JM, Innes JL, Savage JE, Snyder KR, VanderHeyden D, Zhang JW, Sanz MJ. 1999. Observation and confirmation of foliar ozone symptoms of native plant species of Switzerland and southern Spain. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 116:227-234.
- Zhang JW, Feng Z, Cregg BM, Schumann CM. 1997. Carbon isotopic composition, gas exchange, and growth of three populations of ponderosa pine differing in drought tolerance. Tree Physiology 17:461-466.
- Zhang JW, Klopfenstein NB, Peterson GW. 1997. Genetic variation in disease resistance in Juniperus virginiana and J. scopulorum grown in eastern Nebraska. Silvae Genetica 46(1):11-17.
- Dix ME, Akkuza E, Klopfenstein NB, Zhang JW, Kim MS, Foster JE. 1997. Riparian zones as refugia in agroforestry systems. Journal of Forestry 95(8):38-41.
- Dix ME, Klopfenstein NB, Zhang JW, Workman SW, Kim MS. 1997. Potential use of Populus for phytoremediation of environmental pollution in riparian buffer zones. In: Micropropagation, Genetic Engineering, and Molecular Biology of Populus, pp. 206-211 (Klopfenstein, N.B., Chun, Y.W., Kim, M.-S., Ahuja, M.R. eds.) General Technical Report, RM-GTR-297. Fort Collins, CO, USA. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station.
- Zhang JW, Cregg BM. 1996. Variation in stable carbon isotope discrimination among and within exotic conifer species grown in eastern Nebraska, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 83:181-187.
- Zhang JW, Marshall JD, Fins L. 1996. Correlated population differences in dry matter accumulation, allocation, and water-use efficiency in three sympatric conifers species. Forest Science 42(2):242-249.
- Zhang JW, Marshall JD. 1995. Variation in carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthetic gas exchange among populations of Pseudotsuga menziesii and Pinus ponderosa in different environments. Functional Ecology 9:402-412.
- Zhang JW, Marshall JD. 1994. Population differences in water-use efficiency of well-watered and water-stressed western larch seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 24:92-99.
- Zhang JW, Fins L, Marshall JD. 1994. Carbon isotope discrimination, photosynthetic gas exchange and growth differences among western larch families. Tree Physiology 14:531-539.
- Marshall JD, Zhang JW. 1994. Carbon isotope discrimination and water-use efficiency in native plants of the northern-central Rockies. Ecology 75:1887-1895.
- Li WR, Qi LW, Guo JP, Zhang JW. 1994. Analysis on the seedling growth and character variations in provinces of Larix principis-rupprechtii Mayr. in Shanxi Province. Journal of Shanxi Agricultural University 4:339-345. (in Chinese with English abstract).
- Zhang JW, Marshall JD, Jaquish BC. 1993. Genetic differentiation in carbon isotope discrimination and gas exchange in Pseudotsuga menziesii: A common-garden experiment. Oecologia 93:80-87.
- Marshall JD, Zhang JW. 1993. Altitudinal variation in carbon isotope discrimination by conifers. In: Stable Isotopes and Plant Carbon-Water Relations, pp. 187-199 (Ehleringer, J.R., Hall, A.E. and Farquhar, G.D. eds.). Academic Press.
- Zhang JW, Fins L. 1993. Variation in shoot growth components among western larch families. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23:1520-1527.