A primary focus of the Resource Monitoring and Assessment program research is to improve monitoring techniques and develop new applications for the Forest Inventory and Analysis Program.
For example, we are working to expand forest health metrics using indicator species, improve estimates of canopy cover and biomass from standard inventory measurements.
- A comprehensive guide to fuel management practices for dry mixed conifer forests in the northwestern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-292. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 331 p. - Jain, Theresa B.; Battaglia, Mike A.; Han, Han-Sup; Graham, Russell T.; Keyes, Christopher R.; Fried, Jeremy S.; Sandquist, Jonathan E. 2012
- Using multi-level remote sensing and ground data to estimate forest biomass resources in remote regions: a case study in the boreal forests of interior Alaska. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing. 37(6): 596-611 - Andersen, Hans-Erik; Jacob, Strunk; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Atwood, Donald; Winterberger, Ken 2012
- A comparison of selected parametric and imputation methods for estimating snag density and snag quality attributes. Forest Ecology and Management 272: 26-34. - Eskelson, B.N.I., Temesgen, H., Hagar, J.C. 2012
- Forest inventory vegetation database of the United States of America. Biodiversity and Ecology 4: 225-231. - Gray, Andrew N., Thomas J. Brandeis, John D. Shaw, William H. McWilliams, and Patrick D. Miles 2012
- Estimating canopy cover from standard forest inventory measurements in western Oregon. Forest Science. 58(2): 154-167. - McIntosh, Anne; Gray, Andrew; Garman, Steven 2012
- Model-assisted forest yield estimation with light detection and ranging. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 27(2): 53-59. - Strunk, Jacob L.; Reutebuch, Stephen E.; Andersen, Hans-Erik; Gould, Peter J.; McGaughey, Robert J. 2012
- Using airborne LiDAR as a sampling tool for estimating forest biomass resources in the upper Tanana Valley of interior Alaska. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 26: 157-164 - Andersen, H.E., Strunk, J., Temesgen, H. 2011
- Using multilevel remote sensing and ground data to estimate forest biomass resources in remote regions: a case study in the boreal forests of interior Alaska. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 37: 1-16. - Andersen, H.E., Strunk, J., Temesgen, H., Atwood, D., Winterberger, K. 2011
- Differences in forest area classification based on tree tally from variable and fixed radius plots. Canadian Journal of Forestry Research. 41: 211-214. - Azuma, David; Monleon, Vicente J. 2011
- Dynamic range-based intensity normalization for airborne, discrete return LiDAR data for forest canopies. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. 77(3): 251-259. - Gatziolis, Demetrios 2011
- A comparison of small area estimation and LiDAR-derived auxiliary variables to estimate attributes for selected forests stands. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 41: 1189-1201 - Goerndt, M.E.; Monleon, V.J.; Temesgen, H. 2011
- Quantifying ecological thresholds from response surfaces. Ecological Modeling. 222: 427-436 - Lintz, Heather E.; McCune, Bruce; Gray, Andrew N.; McCulloh, Katherine A. 2011
- Estimates of live-tree carbon stores in the Pacific Northwest are sensitive to model selection. Carbon Balance and Management. 6(2): 16 p. - Melson, Susanna L.; Harmon, Mark E.; Fried, Jeremy S.; Domingo, James B. 2011
- Northwest Forest Plan -- status and trends of late-successional and old-growth forests from 1994 to 2008. PNW-GTR-853. Pacific Northwest Research Station, USDA Forest Service, Portland, OR; 48 p. - Moeur, M.M.; Ohmann, J.L.; Kennedy, R.E.; Cohen, W.B.; Yang, Z.; Gregory, M.J.; Roberts, H.M.; Fiorella, M. 2011
- Mapping change of older forest with nearest-neighbor imputation and Landsat time-series. Forest Ecology and Management 272: 13-25. - Ohmann, J.L., Gregory, M.J., Roberts, H.M., Cohen, W.B., Kennedy, R.E., Yang, Z. 2012
- Mapping gradients of community composition with nearest-neighbor imputation: extending plot data for landscape analysis. Journal of Vegetation Science 22: 660-676. - Ohmann, Janet L.; Gregory, Matthew J.; Henderson, Emilie B.; Roberts, Heather M. 2011
- Sampling strategies for efficient estimation of tree foliage biomass. Forest Science. 57(2): 153-163. - Temesgen, Hailemariam; Monleon, Vicente; Weiskittel, Aaron; Wilson, Duncan. 2011
- Status and future of the forest health indicators program of the USA. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 177: 419-436. - Woodall, Christopher William; Amacher, Michael C.; Bechtold, William A.; Coulston, John W.; Jovan, Sarah; Perry, Charles H.; Randolph, KaDonna C.; Schulz, Beth K.; Smith, Gretchen C.; Tkacz, Borys; Will-Wolf, Susan. 2011
- Improving variance estimators
We are working to improve variance estimators with alternative methods of incorporating remote sensing.
- Forest health metrics
This project entails improving forest health metrics with a national vegetation diversity indicator and national lichen community indicator.
- Canopy cover estimates
We are working to improve estimates of tree canopy cover from standard inventory measurements.
- Equation development
PNW-RMA researchers and statisticians are continually working to improve monitoring techniques and improves estimates of forest attributes such as canopy cover and biomass.
- Development of analytical and visualization software tools to manipulate and process data from large-area lidar acquisitions to produce information useful for resource analyses.