- Thirty-two permanent field plots were established in limestone forest and 14 in volcanic forest.
- The forest area on Guam occupies approximately 63,830 acres, with limestone forest accounting for about 70 percent.
- About 18 percent was urban, including roads, towns, airstrips, and military facilities.
- We estimated gross tree stem volume to be about 91 million cubic feet.
- About 21 percent of the trees sampled exhibited some form of physical damage.
- decay was found in nearly one-third.
- Sixty-four percent of the damage cases were attributed to weather or falling neighbor trees.
- The average number of tree species per sixth-acre plot was about four in both limestone and volcanic forest types.
- Forty-eight tree species and about 140 understory species were measured.