HJ Andrews Symposium History of Ideas: Forest Structure and Dynamics
Presenter: Jerry Franklin
Length: 27 min 36 s
- In 1968...
- In February 1977...
- Ecological Characteristics of Old-Growth Douglas-fir Forests
- But, among other things, did not include...
- Embarrassment (and Epiphany)
- Advances in Canopy Research
- Wildlife habitat studies (Spies comes to town!)
- New synthesis of forest structural development
- What are the key elements/forest structure...?
- Natural forests are structurally complex throughout their development
- Terrestrial and Aquatic are inextricably linked
- Spatial pattern evolves during forest development
- All late-successional temperate forests are similar structurally
- What drove advances?
- Were old ideas overthrown or has it been an incremental growth of ideas?
- Is our knowledge of forest structure now complete?
- Ripe for Breakthroughs
- The epiphanies continue!