MAPSS Homes > About
Us > Privacy
- This website is provided as a public service by the U.S.
- Information presented on this website is considered public information
and may be distributed or copied unless otherwise indicated. Use of
appropriate byline/photo/image credit is requested.
- For site management, information is collected
for statistical purposes. This government computer system uses software
programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes
as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining
technical design specifications, and identifying system performance
or problem areas.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains
available to all users, this government computer system employs software
programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts
to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts
are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data
logs are used for no other purposes than those stated in this notice.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information
on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under
the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1987 and the National Information
Infrastructure Protection Act.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information presented
here, please contact us.
- To protect your privacy, this site does not use persistent "cookies."
Information Collected for Statistical Purposes
- Below is an example of the information collected based on a standard
request for a World Wide Web document:
- xxx.yyy.com - - [28/Jan/1997:00:00:01 -0500] "GET /news/nr012797.html
HTTP/1.0" 200 16704 Mozilla 3.0/www.altavista.digital.com
- xxx.yyy.com (or 188.8.131.52)-- this is the host name (or IP address)
associated with the requester (you as the visitor). In this case, (.com)
the requester is coming from a commercial address. Depending on the
requester's method of network connection, the host name (or IP address)
may or may not identify a specific computer. Connections via many Internet
Service Providers assign different IP addresses for each session, so
the host name identifies only the ISP. The host name (or IP address)
will identify a specific computer if that computer has a fixed IP address.
- [28/Jan/1997:00:00:01 -0500] -- this is the date and time of the request
- "GET /news/nr012797.html HTTP/1.0" -- this is the location of the
requested file on the web server 200 -- this is the status code - 200
is OK - the request was filled
- 16704 -- this is the size of the requested file in bytes
- Mozilla 3.0 -- this identifies the type of browser software used to
access the page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing
- www.altavista.digital.com - this indicates the last site the person
visited, which indicates how people find our site
- Requests for other types of documents use similar information. No
personally-identifying information is collected.