Pacific Northwest Research Station
333 SW First Avenue
Portland, OR 97204
- This website is provided as a public service by the USDA
- Information presented on this website is considered public information and
may be distributed or copied unless otherwise indicated. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image
credit is requested.
- For site management, information is collected for statistical
purposes. This government computer system uses software programs to create summary
statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing what information is
of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying
system performance or problem areas.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available
to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor
network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information,
or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are
made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used
for no other purposes than those stated in this notice.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this
service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud
and Abuse Act of 1987 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here,
please contact us.
- To protect your privacy, this site does not use persistent "cookies."
Information Collected for Statistical Purposes
- Below is an example of the information collected based on a standard request
for a World Wide Web document:
- xxx.yyy.com - - [28/Jan/1997:00:00:01 -0500] "GET /news/nr012797.html HTTP/1.0"
200 16704 Mozilla 3.0/www.altavista.digital.com
- xxx.yyy.com (or 220.127.116.11)-- this is the host name (or IP address) associated
with the requester (you as the visitor). In this case, (.com) the requester is
coming from a commercial address. Depending on the requester's method of network
connection, the host name (or IP address) may or may not identify a specific computer.
Connections via many Internet Service Providers assign different IP addresses
for each session, so the host name identifies only the ISP. The host name (or
IP address) will identify a specific computer if that computer has a fixed IP
- [28/Jan/1997:00:00:01 -0500] -- this is the date and time of the request
- "GET /news/nr012797.html HTTP/1.0" -- this is the location of the requested
file on the web server 200 -- this is the status code - 200 is OK - the request
- 16704 -- this is the size of the requested file in bytes
- Mozilla 3.0 -- this identifies the type of browser software used to access
the page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the pages
- www.altavista.digital.com - this indicates the last site the person visited,
which indicates how people find our site
- Requests for other types of documents use similar information. No personally-identifying
information is collected.