About Us  |  Contact Us  |  FAQ's  |  Newsroom

[design image slice] U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service on faded trees in medium light green background [design image slice] more faded trees
[design image] green box with curved corner
[design image] green and cream arch
Employee Search
Information Center
National Offices and Programs
Phone Directory
Regional Offices
Evaluate Our Service

We welcome your comments on our service and your suggestions for improvement.


USDA Forest Service
Recreation, Heritage & Wilderness Resources
Mail Stop 1125
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, D.C.

(202) 205-1706

  [graphic]FirstGov.gov - The U.S. Government's Offical Web Portal

Recreation Fees and Passes

You are here: Home > Passes & Permits > Recreation Fees and Passes > Golden Passports

Are Golden Passports and National Parks Passes still valid?

Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes are not valid. These passes were issued up to December 31, 2006 and were only valid for one year.


Golden Age Passports and Golden Access Passports will continue to be honored for the lifetime of the pass holder.


What is the difference between Golden Age/Access Passports and its new Interagency Senior/Access Recreation Passes?

For the most part, these passes work in the same way; however, there is one notable difference in who can accompany the pass holder. The Interagency Senior and Interagency Access Passes admit the pass holder and 3 other people regardless of relationship. the Golden Age and Golden Access Passports admit pass holder, spouse, and children at per-person sites.



Exchanging Golden Passport's for Interagency Recreation Passes

  • People who have paper versions of the Golden Age Passport or Golden Access Passport may exchange them for the respective new Interagency Recreation Passes free of charge.
  • People who have plastic versions of the Golden Age Passport or Golden Access Passport may not exchange them at this time. There are currently hundreds of thousands of these passports in circulation and the agencies cannot accommodate a full exchange program. Current holders of the plastic Golden Age Passport may purchase a new Interagency Senior Pass if desired, but must turn over their old Passport at the time of the purchase.



US Forest Service
Last modified March 29, 2013

[graphic] USDA logo, which links to the department's national site. [graphic] Forest Service logo, which links to the agency's national site. [graphic] A link to the US Forest Service home page.