Information and Analyses
insecticide treatments (93 publications)
mating disruption treatments (1 publication)
silvicultural treatments (6 publications)
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Suppression Projects (1970-present):
list of projects & key information
pdf version of projects list (best for printing, 33 kb)
detailed spreadsheet with project information (Excel 2000)
sources of information about these projects
Suppression Projects information was last updated on May 1, 2008. Please contact Kathy Sheehan (503-808-2674; firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to contribute information. For example, we have scant information about Canadian projects! Reports and publications will be scanned and returned. Thanks to Karen Ripley for contributing information about the 2000 and 2006 DNR projects, and to Steve Andringa and Mike Johnson for information about the 1999-2001 Yakama Nation projects!
Coming Next: spreadsheets listing key information for silvicultural treatments aimed at western spruce budworm. Your help in "filling in the blanks" will be welcomed!
Here's a list of items that will be included in the detailed spreadsheets when available. Of course, few (if any!) projects will have all of these items available...
All treatments (prevention and suppression):
- How was treatment success measured?
- Was the project successful?
- Previous defoliation history for the treated area?
- Subsequent defoliation history for the treated area?
- Size of treatment area?
- Geographic location? (state or province, admin. unit, etc.)
- Digitized treatment boundaries (maps)?
- Timing within an outbreak? (start, middle, end ...)
- General budworm population trends before & after treatment (in/near the treated area)
- Other concurrent disturbance agents? (drought, root diseases, other defoliators, etc.
- Stand species composition and structure?
- Site characteristics (slope, aspect, soils, etc.)
- Potential inflight from surrounding areas?
- Treatment costs?
- Relative reliability of treatment information?
- NEPA or other environmental regulatory requirements?
- Agency &/or contractor capacity needed?
- Planning lead-time needed?
- Stand basal area before & after treatment?
- Stand species composition (by tree size?) before and after treatment?
- Stand structure before & after treatment?
- Active ingredient?
- Rate (oz/ac or metric equivalent)?
- Dose/ac (or ha)?
- Application method (fixed-wing, rotary-wing, ground sprayer, etc.)?
- Pre- and post-treatment budworm densities?
This webpage was last updated on May 1, 2008.
Please send comments and suggestions about this website's content to Kathy Sheehan
Go to the USFS PNW Region's
Forest Health Protection website