Research & Development
Themes: Inventory and Monitoring
Inventory and Monitoring of Forests
One of our greatest strengths is our Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) unit. Our goal is to inventory and continue to monitor the status, trends, and health of the northeastern forest and its use by the forest industry. All 13 states in the northeast are on an annual inventory schedule.
- Design and implement an annual forest inventory and monitoring plan
- Develop improved techniques to monitor forest health
- Develop and test techniques to monitor implementation of regional, national and international standards of sustainability
- Monitor timber product output and use in the major primary and secondary manufacturing sectors and link outputs to consumer and industrial demands
- Integrate inventory and monitoring information with the development of management guides to assess potential effects across the Northeast
Who is Conducting This Research and Where?