To monitor regeneration of birch trees growing on clearcut areas.
The data collected provides an excellent demonstration of the
financial and silvicutural capabilities of the management programs.
1) To compare the establishment and growth of 10 species of
forest plants under varying levels of light exposure and soil
2) To isolate the effects of light exposure, soil moisture,
temperature and soil chemical content so that the contribution
of each can be determined.
1) To determine long-term differences in the volume and value
growth and yield of Allegheny hardwood stands under different
2) To determine the effect of these management systems on the
establishment of regeneration.
1) To determine the average deer density which will allow natural
regeneration of desirable Allegheny hardwood timber species
at adequate stocking levels in stands managed under even-age
2) To determine the effects of known herd-size on browse-use
over a range of regeneration conditions in Allegheny Plateau
3) To determine if deer density impacts songbird, small mammal,
shrub and herb communities.