Global Change Research Program
of Long Term Research Conducted by the Northeastern Research Station
Lookup by Theme
#44 Effect of Aerial Fertilization
on Regeneration Stocking
To describe changes in tree reproduction, shrubs, and herbs in the
Tionesta Area caused by changes in overstory density, deer browsing,
and other factors.
#45 Effect of Fern Competition and
Deer Browsing on Allegheny Hardwood Seedlings After Shelterwood Cutting
1) To provide a vivid demonstration of the effects of fertilization
on growth and development of young regeneration obtained after harvest
2) To assess the impact of fertilization on production of wildlife
browse and its crude protein content.
3) To assess the impact on deer day usage.
4) To determine the degree of nutrient movement into stream water
and its effect on stream fauna.
# 48 Porters' Prize Study
To determine the effect of fern interference and deer browsing on
the establishment survival, and growth of Allegheny hardwood seedlings
under two shelterwood cutting situations: a) a previously thinned
stand now ready for the first cut (seed cut) of a shelterwood sequence;
and b) a stand that has previously received the seed cut of a shelterwood
and is now ready for final harvest.
#50 Effect of Deer Population Levels
on Natural Regeneration of Allegheny Hardwoods
1) To determine whether intensive forest cutting within a compartment
can reduce deer impact on forest regeneration.
2) To determine the impact of intensive forest cutting within a
compartment on herbaceous plant and songbird diversity.
#67 Undergrowth and Small Mammal
Response to Overstory Stocking Levels (Undergrowth Project - Vegetation)
1) To determine the average deer density which will allow natural
regeneration of desirable Allegheny hardwood timber species at adequate
levels in stands managed under even-aged silviculture.
2) To determine the effects of known herd-size on browse-use over
a range of regeneration conditions in Allegheny Plateau cherry-maple
3) To determine if average deer weight varies significantly over
a range of conditions other than deer density that affect regeneration
in Allegheny Plateau cherry-maple stands.
#68 Undergrowth Project (Wildlife)
To describe undergrowth response to overstory thinning and deer
browsing, and to describe small mammal habitat relationships.
1) To manage forest undergrowth for diversity and abundance of wildlife.
2) To describe undergrowth and small mammal response to overstory
thinning and deer browsing.
Page Contact: Kevin