USDA Forest ServiceSkip navigational links  
 Northern Global Change Research Program
Go to:
Go to: Introduction
Go to: Index of Databases
Go to: Lookup by Contact
Go to: Lookup by Theme
Go to: NGCRP Home Page
Go to: NE Station

Previous:
Go to:27. Density Study

Next:
Go to:29. Compartment Management Studies

 
 Norhtern Global Change Research Program Logo
 United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service. USDA logo which links to the department's national site. Forest Service logo which links to the agency's national site.
 

Catalog of Long Term Research Conducted by the Northeastern Research Station

Catalog #28

Management Intensity Demonstrations
To develop stocking and stand tables and growth and yield estimates per silvicultural program.
1950
expected to continue
Penobscot Experimental Forest, Bradley, ME. USGS 15-min series topographic quadrangle of Orono, ME. UL: 4969400mN 528800mE or 44deg, 48min,30 sec by 68deg,34min,00sec. LR: 4961300mN 534900mE or 44deg, 52min, 45sec by 68deg, 37min, 30sec. Soils are derived from glacial till composed of slate and shale geologic material. Poorly- and very poorly-drained stony silt loams cover an average of 54% of the area and well- and moderately well-drained stony loams cover the remaining 46% on the average.
6 different silvicultural/management programs without replication (1 program to 1 area).
100%
The following are the 6 different silvicultural programs.
Program 
Number of Acres 
Compartment Number
Selection System, Intensive Mgmt. at a 5-year operating interval for integrated product production
10
90
Selection System, Extensive Mgmt. At a 15-year operating interval for integrated product production
10 
91
Fixed-Diameter Limit Harvest Method at a 15-year operating interval for pulpwood production with a limited amount of small sawlogs
10 
92
Unregulated Commercial Clear-cut at 25- to 60-year rotation primarily for pulpwood production 
3.3
94
Unregulated Commercial Clear-cut at 25- to 80-year rotation primarily for pulpwood production
3.3
95
Regulated Commercial Clear-cut with timber-stand-improvement at 35- to 60-year rotation for integrated product production
2.8
96
Field stand sampling is collected every 5 years over a total of 39.4 acres. 100% of the areas are inventoried for trees > or = to 4.5" d.b.h. and line transects are used for sampling smaller trees. 
Growth = basal area and cubic feet; condition of stand; average d.b.h.; tree sizes: seedlings = stems with secondary branching to <0.5" d.b.h.; sapling = 0.5" d.b.h to 4.5" d.b.h.; merchantable = 4.5" d.b.h.+, unmerchantable = 4.5" d.b.h.+; 
Mortality and its cause (spruce budworm, uproot, breakage, suppression, other). 

The above-mentioned variables were collected by the schedule below. 
 
Compartment Number Year
90 
1950,1951,1955,1959,1964,1965,1969(2),1974(2),1979(2), 1984(2),1990(2).
91 
1950,1951,1955,1959,1964,1965,1969,1975,1979(2),1984, 1990. 
92 
1950,1951,1955,1959,1964,1965,1969,1975,1979(2),1984, 1990. 
93
1950,1951,1955,1959, 1964, 1969, 1972. 
94 
1972,1975,1979,1984,1990. 
95 
1972 (2),1975,1979,1984,1990. 
96
1972,1973,1975,1979,1982,1984,1990.

Visual check of raw data and the use of error-checking computer programs. Field check plots were maintained.
~5 mbytes on PC, paper, and diskettes.
Studies of Ecosystem Processes
1996
Hart, A.C. 1964. The Penobscot management intensity demonstration plots. Res. Paper NE-25. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 24 p.
    Penobscot Experimental Forest Fact Sheets: 
    First 40 years of results (Compartment 90). March 1991. 
    First 35 years of results (compartment 91). March 1985. 
    First 35 years of results (compartment 92). March 1985. 
    First 35 years of results (compartment 94). May 1985. 
    First 12 years of results (compartment 95). April 1985. 
    First 12 years of results (compartment 96). May 1985. 
The above are office reports of U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station, Bradley, ME.
John Brissette / Laura Kenefic, USDA Forest Service, P.O. Box 640, Durham, NH 03824. (603) 868-7632
none

 

  

Disclaimers | Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) | Privacy Notice