The Electronic FOIA (E-FOIA) Amendments (P.L. 104-231) which President
Clinton signed into law in 1996, amends the Freedom of Information Act
to include the following changes:
- Extends the time agencies must respond to request for information
from 10 to 20 business days (excluding holidays).
- Requires agencies to make reasonable efforts to make records available
in formats desired by requesters.
- Requires agencies to submit the annual reports by fiscal year;
- Requires agencies to make the reports available to the public by computer
telecommunications or other electronic means.
.- Requires agencies to list their major information systems, record
locator systems, and a reference guide or guide for obtaining information.
- Require agencies to establish electronic reading rooms that include
agency policies, staff manuals, opinions made in the adjudication of
cases, and an index of records released by FOIA that are likely to become
the subject of subsequent FOIA requests.
Forest Service maintains only an electronic reading room. If you need to use the FS
electronic reading room, you may make arrangements by contacting the FS FOIA
Officer at 202-205-1542.