FOREST SERVICE MANUAL
FSH 1300 - MANAGEMENT
Supplement No. 1300-97-1
Effective August 12, 1997
POSTING NOTICE: Supplements are numbered consecutively by handbook number and calendar year. Post by document name. Remove entire document and replace with this supplement. Retain this transmittal as the first page of this document. This is the first Hoosier National Forest Supplement to this title.
Document Name (Number of Pages)
1360 3 4
This supplement provides guidance for organizaing and scheduling of Forest Strategy Team (H-ST) and Operaations and Strategy Team meetings (H-OST).
KENNETH G. DAY
CHAPTER 1360 - MEETING MANAGEMENT
1360.3 - POLICY:
This Supplement provides guidelines for organizing and scheduling of Forest Strategy Team
(H-ST) and Operations and Strategy Team meetings (H-OST).
The Forest Supervisor, District Ranger, and Public Affairs Officer make up the Hoosier Strategy Team. The Hoosier Operations Team is composed of the Recreation Program manager, Ecosystem Program manager, special Agent, Engineering Program Manager, Lands Program manager, Special Uses Program Manager, Personnel Officer, and Budget Officer.
1. H-OST meetings are open to Hoosier employees who wish to attend. Employees may be asked to participate based on subject under discussion. Employees may notify meeting coordinator that they wish to attend.
2. H-OST meetings are scheduled for the first Wednesday of each month. These meetings will usually last one day.
3. Location and other meeting particulars will vary and will be announced by the meeting coordinator at least one week in advance of the regularly scheduled meeting
4. H-OST members will look for opportunities to have field trips and meetings in the field. These may be in addition to, or in lieu of, regularly scheduled H-OST meetings. H-OST members will decide if field trips/meetings are additions to scheduled meetings or are instead of scheduled meetings.
5. The role of coordinator for each meeting shall rotate according to the list below:
January Personnel Officer
February Special Agent
March Engineering Program Manager
April Recreation Program Manager
May Special Uses Program manager
June District Ranger
July Lands Program Manager
August Public Affairs Officer
September Ecosystem Program Manager
October Budget Officer
November Personnel Officer
December Special Agent
6. The H-OST meeting coordinator will secure meeting space and make necessary arrangements; assemble briefing papers and prepare the agenda; and, act as chairperson at the meeting.
7. The Forest Supervisor's secretary will attend H-OST meetings and serve as recorder to capture highlights of discussions, all decisions, and assignments made. Meeting notes will be made available to both H-OST members and all Hoosier employees within two business days.
8. Agenda, prework material and briefing papers should be sent to H-OST members at least one week prior to the meeting date.
9. Each meeting will have a minimum of 1 hour for open discussion of topics not included on the agenda.
10. The purpose of H-OST meetings are to communicate, inform, develop policy, give direction, surface problems, solve problems, gain group interaction, participate in the activities and responsibilities of the Forest.
H-OST meeting decisions will be documented and made available within two work days.
11. Meeting Ground Rules
H-OST meetings and other Hoosier Nf meetings will follow the guidelines listed below to ensure both efficiency and participation:
Respect each other.
Only one person talk at a time.
Don't chase rabbits.
Stick to the subject at hand.
Be patient with and polite to others.
12. Meeting Organization
A.Standing agenda items will be discussed at each H-OST meeting. These include:
2) Follow-up on previous assignments and action items
B. Topics submitted for H-OST meeting agendas will identify whether the topic is for information sharing or requires a decision. All topics requiring decisions by the H-OST will be presented in written form for review at least one week prior to the meeting. Enough information should be drafted for adequate understanding of decision variables.
C. Review and presentation of policy change.
D. Schedule in-service training, update on new technology.26.
1360.3--a - POLICY
Participants in any Hoosier National Forest meeting are expected to strive to remove functional and/or district thinking in favor of an integrated, forestwide approach.
1360.3--b - POLICY
Strategy Team Meetings
The Strategy Team is charged with the providing overall leadership, vision, and strategy-setting for the Hoosier NF. Meetings may be called as needed to respond to events that impact the Forest in addition to regularly scheduled meetings. Conference calls will also be used to keep all members involved in forestwide activities.
1360.3--c - POLICY
Functional Operations Team Meetings
The forestwide teams are expected to conduct meetings as necessary to set up, execute and monitor the programs on the Hoosier National Forest. Program Managers should include other specialists and consultants depending on subject matter. The Strategy Team should have opportunity for input as deemed necessary by the Program Manager.