Employee Information During the Furlough
Last update: 1615 ET, 11 October 2013
- USDA Be Prepared
- USDA provides furlough information at http://www.dm.usda.gov/beprepared/ including a letter from Gregory Parham, Assistant Secretary for Administration, to all employees.
- Forest Service Contingency Plan
- OPM Guidance
- Please see information from OPM at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/furlough-guidance/#url=Shutdown-Furlough.
- Addition information is at 30 Sept 2013 Changes/Updates
to OPM Guidance (pdf).
- Unemployment Compensation
- Department and Agency guidance on unemployment.
- If you need assistance with accessing your leave and earning statement, SF-50, or W-2 to apply for unemployment compensation, you may contact the USDA unemployment vendor, TALX, Customer Service at 866-723-4800. TALX is open Monday – Friday, 8am to 5pm CST.
- Pay Information
- Department and Agency guidance on pay during the furlough.
- TSP Information
- Please see the TSP FAQ at https://www.tsp.gov/whatsnew/plan/planNews.shtml#govtShutdown
for information about the effects of the shutdown on your TSP contributions.
- Communication with Creditors, Mortgage Companies and Landlords
- USDA has issued a ‘signed letter to creditors’ that can be used by employees in combination with their official furlough or exempted status letters to seek temporary relief from creditors. A link to the letter is posted below:
- USDA Letter to Creditors (pdf)
- OPM has provided sample letters for employees to communicate with creditors, mortgage companies and landlords to seek temporary relief. Links to the two versions of the template are posted below. The first is PDF format, followed by the same letter in Word format.
- OPM Sample Letter Template (pdf)
- OPM Sample Letter Template (Word version) (doc)