Why Come to Work for the Forest Service?
The Forest Service also has many opportunities for part-time and temporary employment for high school and college students, including internships and cooperative student opportunities. Forest Service employment is an open door to the great outdoors. It's also a fulfilling way to earn money, gain work experience, do something good for the environment -- and maybe lay the foundation for a great Federal government career after graduation.
Listed below are just a few of the reasons why our employees enjoy working at Forest Service.
- I can work in large metropolitan areas or remote locations all across the US
- Where else can I live and work in natural surroundings
- I work for America's natural heritage
- I work for a proud, diverse organization
- The work is demanding
- It's decentralized and adventurous
- The work is inspiring and fulfilling
- My job is meaningful, rewarding and challenging
- I get to be creative in my job
- I have the opportunity to become a leader
- Forest Service is like a family to me
- There is generous leave accrual
- I have excellent health and life insurance coverage
- My savings plan has easy portability to and from the private sector
- There are opportunities for developmental assignments
- I have a flexible work schedule
Ask your college career counselor or contact a local Forest Service unit directly to ask about student employment programs.