Lodging & Travel Arrangements
Sitka is located in beautiful Southeast Alaska and can only be accessed by boat or plane. For more local information, see the Sitka Convention & Visitors Bureau website.
- 850 miles (1,368 kilometers) from Seattle, Washington.
- 90 miles (150 kilometers) from Juneau, Alaska.
- 733 miles (1,181 kilometers) from Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Formerly Sheldon Jackson College (1878).
- Rich history, great location.
- Houses the Sheldon Jackson Museum (1895) and the Hames Recreation Center
- Walking distance of Totem Park (Sitka National Historic Park) and downtown Sitka.
- (907) 747-6241 or 1-800-544-0970
- Block of 40 rooms (no minimum).
- $139/night plus tax, +$20 extra person.
- 1/2 mile from venue.
Dorms at the Sitka Fine Arts Camp
- $70/single room, $35/shared room.
- All bathrooms are shared, each room with 2 single (twin) beds
- Very basic, but economical and handy.
- Can accommodate all of us, and there is a campfire pit!
- Complete Campus Housing Request Form for dorm lodging…
How to Get to Sitka
- Fly direct to Sitka (through Seattle).
- Alaska Airlines only (in early May).
Plane and Ferry
- Fly to Juneau (Alaska Airlines or Delta).
- Ferry to Sitka (4.5hr, $48/one way).
- New ferry schedules will be announced December 2015.
- Alaska Marine Highway System
Ferry & Ferry
- Bellingham to Juneau (2.5 days, $340/one way).
- Prince Rupert to Juneau (30hrs, $148/one way).
- Then, Juneau to Sitka.
- Round-trip discounts.
Note: Ferry terminals are not located near airports and have early check-in times.
Shuttle service, (907) 747-5800, from the airport to/from local accommodations is available May through September.
With relatively few arrival times into the Sitka Airport, it is likely that the Alaska FHP group can coordinate airport pick-ups. Please use the ride-share board or contact Robin Mulvey (email@example.com, 907-5856-7971) with your flight details to make arrangements at least one week prior to the meeting.
Ride and Room Share
If you would like to share rides to and/or from the airport (or anywhere else) or a hotel room while in Sitka, you can find others that are interested in sharing at the WIFDWC Ride and Room share forum.
You will first need to subscribe to the group and then sign in with your existing Google or Gmail account information or create a new Google account. You may start a new post if there are none that fit your needs or read through those that are already there to find accommodations. If you create a post, please include: your name, dates you will be traveling or staying, a way to contact you (email, phone, telegram, etc.), and any other information that you would like to share. If you find a possibility, contact the original poster and work out any details off-line. Once a request has been filled please indicate in a response to the original message.
If you have any questions please contact Danny Norlander, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sitka, Alaska Area Map (PDF, 708 KB).
Downtown Sitka, Alaska (PDF, 1.6 MB).
Be Bear Aware
Baranof Island hosts a large brown bear population. Please see these resources from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and the US Forest Service and be bear aware during your stay in Southeast Alaska.
Bear FACTS (PDF)