Pesticides are used on NFS lands for a number of management operations that include:
- Thinning or control of specific trees to promote growth
of desirable species.
- Thinning or control of vegetation to reduce fire fuel.
- Site preparation for planting of trees.
- Control of vegetation on highways, utility, and railroad rights-of-way in forests.
- Control of vegetation in forest nurseries and riparian areas.
of insects and diseases.
- Management of aquatic plants and fish.
The land area treated with pesticides is typically very small and represents approximately one tenth of one percent of the total forest and rangeland area within the NFS lands annually.
Available reports on past pesticide usage within NFS are listed below. Information on recent and future pesticide usage may be obtained from Regional Pesticide Use Coordinators.