Post-processors are programs, extensions, or plug-ins to FVS that extend FVS modeling, reporting, and display capabilities. There are two types of installations for the post-processors. One involves delivery of the programs in self-extracting WinZip® files. The other involves installing the program by running a setup program. Refer to the Installation Instructions below.
Common Post Processors
Advance Forest Planning Post-Processors
Programming tools have been developed primarily for forest planning purposes to enhance the input and output capabilities of the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS).
- Table Output Selection Screen (TOSS) (toss_z.exe, 2 MB, 11-10-2014) - provides users the ability to select specific tables from the vast
FVS main output file.
- Fvsstand Alone (fvsstd_z.exe, 3 MB, 04-02-2014) - produces standard stand and stock tables. Species-size class reports are generated for stocking, growth, harvest, and mortality components. Two types of yield reports are available, age-dependent and time-dependent. The reports are specifically designed for import to forest planning models. Structure class forecasting and species product merchandising are an added benefit. Stand visualization (SVS) features are built into FVSSTAND to dynamically display a movie of the simulated stand profile through time.
- R2 Habitat Structural Stage without HSS5 (hss_wo5.exe, 28 KB, 09-02-2009) - calculates the Region 2 (Black Hills) Habitat Structural Stage without calculations of HSS5.
The installation process to follow depends on whether the file is a self-extracting file or setup program. The Post-Processors for FVS are self-extracting WinZip® files. TOSS and FVSSTAND are initially installed with the main FVS setup program. Should you have problems with TOSS or FVSSTAND versions installed on your PC, the individual programs can be installed from the files available on this page. Prior to installation of TOSS or FVSSTAND you should uninstall and remove the original program(s) and associated files using the instructions provided below.
Download any files available on this page to your PC prior to installation or extraction. This folder's location is not critical and can be wherever you choose to put downloaded files on your PC. Once you have downloaded the file to your PC, follow the instructions to install the software.
Remove Previous Versions of Programs
- Go to Start, Settings…, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.
- Scroll down to the program's name in the Install/Uninstall box, Select the program's name (if present). Click the Add/Remove… button. You may have to do this more than once depending on the versions of the program you have installed or whether you have updated an earlier setup program. (If not present in the Add/Remove program utility you may need to delete the associated files manually from the C:\FVSbin directory on your PC.)
- Program Removal program will begin. You will be asked whether you are sure that you want to remove the program and all of its components. Click the Yes button to continue.
- You may be asked whether you want to remove shared components that were associated with the programs. Click the Remove All button.
- The removal program will note the programs were removed when it is finished.
- Find the file you downloaded to your PC using Windows Explorer. Double-click the file to begin the extraction process. Extract the files to folder the "C:\Fvsbin" folder. The programs are updated!
- Using Windows Explorer, go to the folder where you saved the downloaded file. Double-click the file to begin the installation process. A WinZip® Self-Extractor dialog box will appear.
- Click the Setup button. The installation files will be extracted and the Setup program will begin.
- A Setup dialog box will appear and note to exit all running applications. If you are running applications, close them. Also disable auto-protection on virus programs. Click the OK button when you are ready to proceed with installation.
- Another dialog box will appear and ask about the destination directory for the program's installation. The default directory for most FVS components is in the C:\Fvsbin. If you have installed FVS and Suppose to another drive, such as D:\, then click the Change Directory button. In the Change Directory dialog box, change the drive letter to the drive where you installed FVS and Suppose. Click the OK button when you have changed the drive.
- Click the square setup button in the upper left corner of the dialog box to continue with installation. The setup program will continue installation.
- A Choose Program Group dialog box will appear. It is asking where to put the program shortcut in your Start, Programs menu. The default is the Suppose program group. Click the Continue button.
- Program installation will continue and complete. When installation is finished, a Setup dialog box will appear noting installation was completed successfully. Click the OK button. Control will be returned to the operating system. The program is installed!