FVS Software Complete Package
The FVS Software Setup Program file covers all Regions of the National Forest System. It includes the FVS program files, the graphical interface (Suppose), pre- and post-processors, the Stand Visualization System (SVS), sample data, and Regional Exerise Guide in a single, easy-to-install program. These are the files associated with the basic FVS training sessions in each Region.
Additional Support Notes
- We update the setup file on a regular basis to keep up with the component updates.
- You may update prior installations of the FVS software by simply reinstalling using the newer setup program. Alternatively, you may add and update components by following the links on the menu to the left.
- The FVS Setup package includes the regional-specific workbooks and sample data. Exercises included in the workbooks are an excellent FVS tutorial.
Download the FVS Setup Program file to your PC, then follow the Installation Instructions below.
|| The most recent versions of the FVS variants, Suppose program, pre- and post-processors, the Stand Visualization System (SVS), sample data, and exercise workbooks.
When running the FVS Setup Program, you select which Region(s) to install. The table below shows which of the FVS variants are installed for each Region.
|| Variants Included
| 1 - Northern
|| Eastern Montana, Kootenai, Kaniksu, and Tally Lake (KooKanTL), Inland Empire
| 2 - Rocky Mountain
|| Central Rockies, Eastern Montana, Inland Empire, Tetons, Utah
| 3 - Southwestern
|| Central Rockies, Inland Empire, Utah
| 4 - Intermountain
|| Central Idaho, Inland Empire, Tetons, Utah, Western Sierra Nevada
| 5 - Pacific Southwest
|| Inland California and Southern Cascades (ICASCA), Inland Empire, Klamath Mountains, Western Sierra Nevada, South Central Oregon and Northeast California (SORNEC)
| 6 - Pacific Northwest
|| Blue Mountains, Inland California and Southern Cascades (ICASCA), East Cascades, Klamath Mountains, Pacific Northwest Coast, South Central Oregon and Northeast California (SORNEC), Inland Empire, Westside Cascades
| 8 - Southern
|| Southern, Central States, Lake States, Northeast, Inland Empire
| 9 - Eastern
|| Central States, Lake States, Northeast, Inland Empire, Southern
| 10 - Alaska
|| Southeast Alaska and Coastal British Columbia, Inland Empire
FVS Setup Program Installation Instructions
The FVS software setup program is a single executable that will install the standard suite of programs often associated with the Forest Vegetation Simulator. Installing all the components will require up to 200 MB of hard drive space, depending on the region you select.
When you install a new setup package, it will overwrite any files installed from a previous setup package, including the training data set and blank database.
If you installed a previous version of the FVS setup program or any FVS components, we suggest you first uninstall the previous version before proceeding with installing another setup program.
Note: Depending on your security settings, you may need Administrative Privileges to Install / Uninstall FVS software.
Removal of Previous Installations
If you have never installed the FVS Suite of programs before on your system, you may skip ahead to the Installing FVS Software section of these instructions. Otherwise, follow these steps to remove your existing FVS software.
- Navigate through the Control Panel to the utility that allows you to remove programs. This could be the Programs / Uninstall a Program utility, or the Programs and Features utility (Windows Vista, 7, and 8) or the Add and Remove Programs utility (Windows XP).
- Select the file(s) to remove: "FVS Software", "TOSS", and/or "FVSStand". Click the "Change/Remove..." or "Uninstall" button. You may have to do this more than once depending on the versions of the program you have installed and whether you have updated an earlier setup program.
- Once you have removed previous versions you can continue to install the new software.
Installing FVS Software
To load the current FVS software, perform the following steps.
- Click the link for the appropriate FVS setup package in the table above to begin downloading it.
- When prompted, Save the file to a location on your local computer (remember where you save it).
- When the executable has finished downloading, choose to open the setup executable by clicking the "Open" button. If you do not have this option, navigate to the directory where you specified the file be saved and double-click on the executable. Either option will begin the installation process.
- Following a splash screen, click the "Next" button to install the FVS Software.
- When installation is finished, click the "Finish" button. You have installed the FVS programs and example data!