Volunteer Fire Assistance
Photos of a Missouri pump purchased with VFA
funds and Photo of SCBA's - self-contained breathing apparatus - are vital
pieces of equipment, these were purchased with VFA funds.
The objectives of the VFA Program are listed below and are located in
the Forest Service Manual
- Provide financial, technical, and related assistance to State Foresters
to organize, train, and equip local firefighting forces for fire protection
in rural areas and communities of 10,000 persons or less.
- Determine benefits and costs of fire protection of rural lands and
evaluate the distribution of these costs and benefits among all appropriate
- Develop policy and monitor States' administration of equipment and
supplies purchased in whole or in part with Volunteer Fire Assistance
- Encourage and assist States in the use of Federal Excess Personal
Property in achieving the goals and objectives of the VFA Program.
- Encourage and assist the States in use of Federal procurement systems
and sources of supply to achieve the goals and objectives of the VFA
In implementing these objectives the Forest Service and State Foresters
- Organize, train, and equip fire departments in unprotected rural areas
and rural communities.
- Assist qualifying fire departments in saving lives and protecting
property in unprotected or inadequately protected rural areas.
- Prevent or reduce loss of life, protect financial investments and
enhance environmental quality to revitalize rural America.
- Increase the opportunity for rural fire departments to acquire FEPP,
training, and current information on techniques of fire prevention.