Facilities Master Planning header graphic
Engineering Home | Toolbox Home



Dufur Ranger Station

Dufur has been the site of the District Office since 1892. The original Ranger Station was located at the District Ranger's home. It was a small building on skids, which was moved as Rangers changed. The current site was initially acquired in the late 1920's. The oldest building currently on site was constructed in 1932. The current office was built in 1951, with additions in 1978 and 1989.

Office space consists of one main office building, an office trailer and the basement of the wood working shop which have been converted to office space. Other structures on site include a tree cooler, two warehouse structures, a wood working shop, a gas house/paint storage building, one single family residence and three bunkhouse units.

Though the total office space is generally sufficient for the forecast organization, some of the office areas provide poor working conditions. Currently, the office trailer and office space in the basement of the wood shop are functionally obsolete. The trailer has no rest room facilities, is not insulated and is not accessible. The basement office has low ceilings, poor ventilation, is not fully accessible and is extremely noisy when work is being done in the wood working shop, creating a poor working environment. Health and safety are a concern due to the poor ventilation.

The latest office addition, phase II, is not accessible on either the first or second floor. The second floor of this addition houses the conference room for the office.

One of the bunkhouse units is an older double-wide trailer, which is very energy inefficient and a high cost to maintain.

Bear Springs Work Center

Bear Springs was originally used as a work center for the Clackamas Lake Ranger Station in the 1920's. From 1934 to 1939, it served as a Civilian Conservation Corps camp. In 1952, it became the Bear Springs Ranger Station. The oldest building currently on site was constructed in 1908, at the Camas Prairie Guard Station and later moved to Bear Springs. The current office was built in 1961, with an addition in 1990. This addition provided wheelchair access to the second floor of the building. The first floor was already accessible by ramp.

The compound has two parts consisting of 1) the main compound with the office, warehouses and permanent residences, and 2) an additional housing area on the north side of Highway 216 called Spring Drive.

On the main compound, office space consists of one main office building, a separate conference room building and the old engineering office. Other structures on site include a tree cooler/fire cache building, a saw shop, a wood working shop, one warehouse, a fire engine garage, a gas house/paint storage building, eight single family homes and two bunkhouse units. There are also a number of small storage buildings on the compound.

The main compound on the south side of the highway is on the McQuinn Strip. According to the Act of September 21, 1972, title to the Federal lands and all improvements on those lands known as the McQuinn Strip were declared to be in the United States in trust for the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs (CTWS) and for the exclusive use and benefit of CWTS. The Secretary of Interior, through the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) is responsible for administering such lands. The Forest Service has the right to use, without charge, the improvements and the land upon which such improvements are located for as long as they are needed. During such use the Forest Service is obligated to maintain the improvements. When the Forest Service no longer has a need for the improvements, the owners of the land and improvements (BIA) will take over complete responsibility for them.

The Spring Drive development consists of four Forest Service owned double wide modular home units, one single wide mobile home, one privately owned double wide modular home, and seven unoccupied sites for module homes. The Spring Drive development is entirely on National Forest land.

Rock Creek Guard Station

The site at Rock Creek Reservoir was a full service work center at one time, consisting of a mess hall, warehouse and bunkhouse. The warehouse and mess hall were torn down in 1979.

The current facilities consist of a bunkhouse unit and a single wide mobile home, also used as a bunkhouse facility. The site is usually utilized from May to October, with a fire engine and crew of five assigned for the summer. Fire cache and office space for the crew are at Camp Cody, adjacent to the guard station. Other personnel utilize the bunkhouse facilities on an as needed basis.

Camp Cody Youth Camp

The camp area was the site of a logging camp, managed under special use authorization for housing for Cody Logging employees. When the special use permit terminated, the homes were removed and the youth camp was established.

The site is used as a residential youth camp during the summer months. Facilities include a kitchen/mess hall building, an office building, a shower house, a warehouse, a screen building, and 15 cabins for camp participants. The camp is utilized outside of the normal youth camp season by a wide variety of groups, under Granger-Thye authority.

The office and warehouse space for the youth camp are shared with the fire engine crew.

Flag Point Lookout

Flag Point was the site of a lookout tower, dating back to 1934. The original garage is still in place, but the lookout tower was replaced with the current structure in 1960.

The lookout tower is still staffed full time during the fire season. During the off-season, the tower is rented out to the public under Granger-Thye authority. There is also an electronics site which contains a Forest Service radio repeater as well as a repeater for the Wasco County Sheriff's Department. This is housed in an A-frame just west of the tower. There is also an abandoned cinder block building, used for communications equipment prior to construction of the A-frame.

Five Mile Lookout

Five Mile was the site of a lookout tower, dating back to 1934. The original garage is still in place, but the lookout tower was replaced with the current structure in 1957.

The lookout tower is still staffed on an emergency basis only during the fire season. During the off-season, the tower is - rented out to the public under Granger-Thye authority. This year, the tower will be rented out year-round, with provisions for use by the Forest Service in the event of lightning storms or other emergencies.

Valley View Cabin

Valley View cabin was built in 1952 to house crews working in the area, and was used by wilderness guards for a number of years. During the winter months, the cabin was used by a local snowmobile club as a warming shelter under agreement with the Forest Service.

The cabin is rented to the public on a year-round basis under Granger-Thye authority.

The District currently has a total of 98 administrative structures totaling 91,015 sqft.


Estacada District Office

The main district office is located just off of State Highway 224 approximately ½ mile west of the community of Estacada. This is the main entrance into the Clackamas River District as well as the entrance to the Clackamas River Scenic Byway which goes to Detroit. Estacada is approximately one hour from Gresham and less than 2 hours from downtown Portland. The District office is approximately 14,000 square feet. The Portland mass transit bus line has a station in Estacada. Therefore, employees as well as the public can access the District Office via mass transit.

Estacada Work Center

The Estacada Work Center is located on South River Lake Road just off of State Highway 211 south of Estacada. The Compound is approximately 1/4 mile from the community of Estacada and approximately one mile southeast of the Estacada District Office.

There are a total of nine buildings at the Estacada Work Center: three houses, the timber warehouse, hazardous materials storage, KV warehouse, recreation warehouse, lower compound, and the carpenters shop. Of the houses, two are utilized as bunkhouses, and the third is a family dwelling. The timber warehouse has two coolers as well as storage space. The hazardous materials storage building has both heated and non-heated storage space. The KV warehouse is the largest storage space on the compound. The recreation warehouse is the only building on the compound with bathrooms. The building on the lower compound has a room which is the soils laboratory and this is the only area with plumbing. The carpenters shop building is divided into four areas and each area has a garage door opening and the entire building has a high ceiling.

Ripplebrook Compound

The Ripplebrook compound is comprised of the compound with the district office, the heliport, the bunkhouses, and the housing area. The Ripplebrook District Office/Work Center is located just off of State Highway 224 approximately twenty-five miles east of Estacada. The District portion of the Ripplebrook compound consists of five buildings. They are the main office, the fire warehouse, the gas house, the carpenters shop and the coolers in the silviculture building. The other part of the silviculture building belongs to Timber Lake Job Corps. There are two areas that have bunkhouses. The heliport behind the district office off of Forest Road 4600.140 has Bunkhouse C with individual type of apartments and the VIP building which is both the office for the heliport and has an apartment attached. The other area is off of Forest Road 4631.01.1. Bunkhouse A and B are located here and these are all apartment type of rooms that can house three to four people in each apartment if necessary. The other area is the housing area off of the Eagles Rest Road off of Forest Road 4631. This area has family dwellings and no bunkhouses, although some of the houses can be used as singles bunkhouses if necessary. There are ten houses on Eagles Rest Road and only the day care center in #1095 still belongs to Clackamas River.

Oak Grove Work Center

Oak Grove Work Center is located on Forest Service Road 4630.200 and 4631.160. There are a total of 11 buildings on site of which only six remain in use. The other five are the residences and they are boarded up and secured.

Lazy Bend C & M Shop

The Lazy Bend C & M Shop is located just off of State Highway 224 on Forest Road 4600.011. The shop is across the highway from Lazy Bend Campground. There is the main building which has an office portion and an open bay. There is also one small shed still located on site and above ground fuel tanks.

Ripplebrook C & M Shop

The Ripplebrook C & M shop is located off Forest Road 4600.034 approximately one mile east of the Ripplebrook Compound. There is one main building, and above ground fuel tanks.

Seed Orchard

The seed orchard is located off Forest Road 4500.220 spur approximately 21 miles south east of Estacada. The orchard is fenced and has 2 pole barns. One of the pole barns serves as an office area as well as storage.

The District currently has a total of 59 administrative structures (including the leased main office) totaling 93,826 sq.ft.


The main district office for the Hood River Ranger Station is located on State Highway 35, a major Forest portal. Highway 35 connects with I-84, State Highway 26, and Dee Highway and is easily accessible from the Portland, Bend, and Hood River areas. The leased building consists of 9,303 square feet.

The Parkdale Work Center facility consists of 5 residences, two bunkhouses (able to accommodate 20 people), office space, warehouses, shops, and tree cooler buildings. Additional space tied to the bunkhouses is a 504 sq.ft. "crew area" which consists of a common break area and a laundry room for crew use. This area is located in the old ranger station office.

Both the main District Office and the work center are located approximately 16 miles from the full service community of Hood River. The main office and the work center are located 3 miles from each other.

The Dee Seed Orchard facilities consist of two buildings which include an office with an attached garage, and an equipment storage warehouse.

The current use of the work center is somewhat inefficient in the area of office space. Offices are currently spread out in 3 buildings, including the historic Ranger District Office. The space in the historic Ranger District office is currently being under utilized and could be remodeled to accommodate all current work center office needs. Some of the buildings are being utilized for an activity that they were not originally designed for (i.e. auto shop converted to a woodworking shop) which results in reduced cost effectiveness.

The split offices contribute to poor communications between employees housed at the work center, and the District Office. Computer communications is very poor at the work center due to the quality of the phone lines, and the age of the electrical system. Most departments store equipment both at the work center and the main office, and/or supervise employees at both locations making it necessary for many employees to travel several times a day between the work center and the headquarters.

The District currently has a total of 27 administrative structures (including the leased main office) totaling 46,496 sq.ft.


The district facilities are spread out over three main sites: North and South sides of Hwy. 26 at Zigzag, and the Summit Guard Station. A majority of the administrative use occurs at Zigzag South Compound due to quality of these structures and the South side being connected to the community sewer system.

The North Compound has a history of being the home of the road maintenance crews for the District and since 1988, the site has also been the home for engineering. Engineering modified building 2402 (The Mule Barn) to provide additional office space and the entire exterior was painted and restored to good condition. Since this work was completed, the Barn has deteriorated once again and is in need of thousands of dollars of work to bring it up to level 3 or 2 condition. Unlike the other two compounds (Zigzag South and Summit Compound) the North Compound is not hooked up to a municipal sewer so each building is still on it's own septic system. This continues to be of concern.

The Summit Compound, located 12 miles to the East from Zigzag and at 4000 ft elevation, consists of mostly housing units. There are three small cabins, a large bunkhouse and other miscellaneous structures. Currently, most of this site is used by the fire organization for summer seasonal housing and a staging area for engine crews and a water tender. There are also two additional houses North of the Summit Compound and a structure (Old First Aid Building) that has most recently been used to house 5 seasonal workers that is to the west of the Compound. Most of these buildings are currently in fair condition. The Summit Guard Station has Historic significance but the district does not see how three (3) historic sites (Zigzag, Summit, and Clackamas Lake) can be maintained with the current and projected budgets.

Information Services are provided three miles West of the Zigzag Ranger station at a center that is operated in partnership with a private R.V. park and a civic organization.

The station is surrounded by unincorporated communities with a fire station, grade school, small shopping center and local health care. Seventeen miles west is the town of Sandy which is the high school location and with full shopping facilities.

Clackamas Lake Guard Station

The Clackamas Lake Guard Station has a history dating back to the 1900's with 11 of existing structures built during 1933-34. The entire site was placed on the National Register in 1981. These buildings exemplify the rustic style of the depression era. The site also has 12 non-historic structures including 10 sleeping huts, a generator building and a public restroom facility.

The District currently has a total of 80 administrative structures totaling 93,228 sq.ft.


The Timber Lake Job Corps Center is located at an elevation of about 1500 feet above sea level. The Center lies about one mile north of the Clackamas, a Congressionally designated Wild and Scenic River. The approximately 300 acre campus is located on a broad bench characterized by rolling topography, numerous wetlands, and conifer forest. The campus was built on three small terraces, separated by relatively steep slopes. The uppermost terrace contains student dorms and the dining hall. The middle terrace has the gym, infirmary, administration building, and warehouse. The lower terrace has the vocational center, sewage treatment plant and staff quarters.

All of the existing buildings except one have been constructed since the 1960's. The one exception is an unused cottage, that appears to date from the 1930's and is found on the lower terrace, east of the sewage treatment plant. Architectural quality of the center is poor. Roofs are low pitched, windows undersized, entrances obscured and materials sub-standard.

The Timber Lake Job Corps Center is currently responsible for a total of 67 administrative structures totaling 164,861 sqft. These structures include 17 single family residences and 16 trailers, many of which are utilized for single family residences.


Facilities Master Planning Topic Index

Facilities Toolbox Home Page