USDA Forest ServiceSkip navigational links  

Remote Sensing Applications Center

Remote Sensing Applications Center
2222 W. 2300 South
Salt Lake City, UT
84119 - 2020
voice: (801) 975-3750
fax: (801) 975-3478
RSAC Website

 United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service.USDA logo which links to the department's national site.Forest Service logo which links to the agency's national site.

USGS Center
for EROS

47914 252nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD
57198 - 0001
605-594-6589 fax
EROS Website

Learn more about BAERImagery Support

Requesting Imagery and Burned Area Reflectance Classifications (BARC)

Forest Service and Department of the Interior BAER teams can request satellite imagery acquisitions and BARC layers using the online request system:
If you have problems or questions ...
For USDA contact:
Carl Albury
For DOI contact:
Randy McKinley

What to know before you request support:

  1. Fire name and location (lat/long or perimeter shapefile)
  2. Estimated time frame of BAER assessment period
  3. Name and telephone number of contact person
  4. GIS projection desired for geospatial layers
  5. BAER Team Leader Name
  6. Other special data needs (data formats, internet access constraints, etc.)
Typically, USFS RSAC supports USFS BAER teams responding to fires that burn on Forest Service lands (Download posters of annual Forest Service Support) while USGS EROS supports Department of Interior (DOI) BAER teams responding to fires on DOI lands (BLM, FWS, NPS, etc.).
PLEASE NOTE:Imagery and BARC support for wildfires where a BAER team is not deployed, or for prescribed fires, are provided on a cost reimbursable basis. Long duration wildfires where a BAER team is deployed may also be requested to cover costs associated with additional BARC assessments sometimes associated with these events. Please contact the Forest Service Remote Sensing Applications Center (RSAC) (801-975-3750) to request imagery BARC support for these types of fires.
The media and general public can obtain fire activity information on a specific fire from InciWeb or by contacting the locally appropriate federal, state, county, or tribal land management agency.

Disclaimers | Privacy Policy