|FEIS Tutorial||FEIS Home|
1. Suppose you need information on the Clark's nutcracker. Use the search engine on the FEIS Home Page to find the Clark's nutcracker species review. Who wrote it? Nancy McMurray What year was it written? 2008
2. Does the Clark's nutcracker occur in Idaho? Yes
3. In what 3 National Forests has prescribed fire been used in improve Clark's nutcracker habitat?
Salmon-Challis NF Bitterroot NF Clearwater NF
4. Does saltcedar sprout after fire? Yes
Who says so? List the author(s) and date for one reference cited for that fact:
Brotherson, Jack D.; Field, Dean. 1987; or Gary, Howard L.; Horton, Jerome S. 1965; Busch, David E. 1995; or Stevens, Lawrence E. 1989; or Fox, Russell; Mitchell, Rob; Davin, Mike. 2001
5. Find the species review for Elymus lanceolatus. What are its common names?
thickspike wheatgrass, northern wheatgrass, or streambank wheatgrass
Is this species tolerant of fire? Yes
How long after burning before it begins to increase? 1-5 years
Who says so? Give author name(s) and date for reference(s):
Blaisdell 1953; Humphrey 1984; or Smith, M. and others 1985; or Wright, H.A. and others 1979; or Young, J. A. and others 1969.
6. List 1 kind of animal that eats plains prickly-pear: black-tailed prairie dog, pronghorn, or various others listed in "Importance to Livestock and Wildlife"
7. How many life forms or kinds of plants are described in FEIS? __8__How many cactus species are reviewed in FEIS? __9__ How many reptile species are reviewed in FEIS?__14__ Find the desert tortoise species review. What is the desert tortoise's federal legal status (see the "Introductory" section)? __Threatened___
8. How many invasive forb species (taxa) are reviewed in FEIS? __71__ Find the review on common St Johnswort. Are St Johnswort seeds stimulated by fire to germinate?__Yes__ Who says so? Give author name(s) and date for reference(s): __Briese, D. T. 1996.; _Sampson, Arthur W.; Parker, Kenneth W. 1930; Walker, Loren W. 2000____________________________
9. Select criteria to get a list of species reviews on native tree species in South Dakota. How many tree taxa are reviews available for? _52_ Find the species review for Rocky Mountain maple (Acer glabrum). Name 2 ways Rocky Mountain maple regenerates after fire. By prolific sprouting and from wind-dispersed seed
10. Select criteria to get a list of species reviews on nonnative, invasive forbs that may occur in Yellowstone National Park. How many reviews are there? ___36___ Find the review on Canada thistle. Is it more common in burned or unburned forest in Yellowstone National Park? __burned__ Who says so? Give author name(s) and date for reference(s):__Despain, Don G. 1990____
11. Select criteria to get a list of species reviews on native shrubs that occur in Idaho. How many species (taxa) are reviewed? __128__ Find the review on red raspberry (Rubus idaeus). What year was it written? __1990__
12. Is there a species review available for Snake River phlox (Phlox colubrina)? ____No___
13. Use the search engine to find fire studies that include data for Snake River phlox. Where was the study located?_northern Idaho__ What was the date of the fire? __20 August 2000__Was is a wildfire or a prescribed fire?____wildfire_________ Was the cover of Snake River phlox significantly different between burned and unburned plots in the third postfire year?___yes_______
14. Use the search engine to find fire studies that include data on red raspberry. How many fire studies are there? __4__ Open the Research Project Summary listed in the results. Did red raspberry have the highest cover on unburned, fall burned, or spring burned plots? __________fall burned_________
15. Find the fire study for bison. What is the location of this study? Wind cave National Park, SD What time of year was burning conducted? fall (17 October 1979) How did the burn affect bison in the 1st postfire year?
Bison preferred feeding on burned sites in the 1st postfire year.
16. Find a list of fire studies conducted within a 50-mile radius of Kalispell. Find the Research Project Summary from plains rough fescue prairie. What season of burning resulted in the greatest cover of plains rough fescue? ____spring_____ What was the date of this burn? _6 May 1998__ What season and date of burning resulted in the greatest cover of Kentucky bluegrass? _8 October 1998_17. What does "caudex" mean?: Caudex - the persistent and often woody base of an herbaceous perennial (Harris and Harris 2001)