Acronyms & Terms
In an effort to help you understand our abbreviations
and terminology used at this site, we are developing
this glossary. If you have find an abbreviation,
acronym, or term not listed here please
let us know and we will add it to the list.
- Angler Days - sum totals of the
time spent by people fishing on National Forest
System land. Twenty four (24) hours of time spent
fishing equals one (1) angler day.
- BLM - Bureau of Land Management
- CCS - Challenge Cost-Share
- DFC - Desired Future Condition.
That is, the condition one wants the habitat to
be in 5, 10, 20 years from now.
- ESA - Endangered Species Act
- FAEU - Fish & Aquatic Ecology Unit; a detached unit of the Watershed-Fish-Wildlife & Air staff, USDA FS
- FOIA - Freedom Of Information Act
- FWS - Fish and Wildlife Service
- FY - Fiscal Year
- "In the Field" - Offices
outside of Washington DC, especially Forests and
Districts. Also known as "where the rubber
hits the road", "where the work gets done",
or "where the forests actually are".
- MIS - Management Indicator Species
- MOU - Memorandum Of Understanding
- MOA - Memorandum Of Agreement
- NEPA - National Environmental Policy Act
- NFS - National Forest System
- NFWF - National Fish & Wildlife Foundation
- NRCS - Natural Resource Conservation
- NWTF - National Wild Turkey Federation
- TES - Threatened & Endangered
- USDA - United States Department
- WEU - Wildlife Ecology Unit; a detached
unit of the Watershed-Fish-Wildlife & Air staff,
- WFRP - Wildlife, Fish & Rare Plants (former name of the WFW staff)
- WFW - Watershed, Fish, Wildlife, Air and Rare Plants staff (also includes Soils, Weather)