Other Training Options
These are training opportunities not associated with CE-WFWARP.
Distance Learning opportunities are integrated in the list.
For web based training - look for "Online". Vendor quality probably varies. Check them out with "a buyer's eye".
| Federal | State
| Independent Vendor | FREE to Feds
Multiple Agency Efforts
Federal Government wide "E-Gov":
Carhart National Wilderness Training
Center (Multiple Agencies)
Wildland Fire Training Centers (Multiple Agency):
- National Listing of Training Centers
- Great Basin Geographic Area Wildland
Fire Training (including fire ecology)
- National Interagency Prescribed
Fire Training Center, Tallahassee Florida
USDA - United States Department of Agriculture
USDA Graduate School:
National Forest Service Sponsored Training:
- AgLearn (USDA) - Skill Soft training. FREE to USDA employees
- Climate Change Resource Center: PNW-GTR-789 online or order DVD
- Geospatial Service and Technology Center (GSTC) - FREE geospatial training services for Forest Service units and staffs. Online and in classroom settings.
- geospatial technologies
Contact: Bill Silva, Training Unit Leader (billsilva"at"fs.fed.us)
- International Program - International training opportunities
- National Geology & Minerals Training Office
- Remote Sensing Applications Center (RSAC) - contact RSAC directly for a complete listing of training opportunities. Intranet page available to Forest Service personnel
Contact: Haans Fisk (hfisk"at"fs.fed.us)
- Basic Digital Image Processing Application
- Change Detection: Advanced Digital Image Processing Application
- Remote Sensing in Resource Applications (an awareness training CD-ROM)
- GPS/GIS for Managers and Supervisors ($40)
- Integrating Geospatial Technologies for Managers ($40)
- Geospatial Interface training videos; 2 to 5 minutes (FS Intranet)
- Natural Resource Distance Learning Consortium - Online NRDLC is a partner with the USDA-FS and the BLM, and includes 10 universities who work together to provide over 250 web-based classes, 16 professional certificates, and 8 professional degrees covering a variety natural resource management disciplines. Includes the opportunity to earn a Masters degree via online.
- San Dimas Technology and Development Center (SDTDC) -
- Innovative Solutions to Wildlife/Highway Interactions.
- Stream Systems Technology Center (STREAM): Measurement of Stream Discharge by Wading. CD-ROM. STEAM worked with USGS to create a Special Edition of the USGS produced multimedia training CD: Water Resources Investigations Report 00-4036. STREAM has mailed a CD to each USFS National Forest (for FREE!). USFS personnel may request additional copies from STREAM via email (email@example.com). Non USFS individuals: contact USGS (scroll down).
Regional Forest Service Sponsored Training:
- Ninemile Wildlands Training Center: Region 1; Lolo NF, Ninemile RD: 406-626-5201
- PNW Aquatic Technical Training Program: Region 6
- CISPUS Environmental Learning Center (located on Gifford Pinchot National Forest)
- Training in Resource Management Communication Skills (Interagency)
Contact: Myron Blank on the Mt. Hood National Forest @ 503-668-1796
- Continuing Education in Ecosystem Management (CEEM) program: Region 1
- Natural Resource Institute (NRI) program: Region 6
- Leadership Improvement Training: sponsored by USFS Region 5. www.fs.fed.us/news/meet Open to all government agencies and non-government organizations. One (1) week long. Send email inquiries to: LITfirstname.lastname@example.org
USDI - United States Department of Interior
National Park Service: National Training Center - online and onsite training funnels to DOI Learn
Other Federal Agencies
Government Services Agency (GSA)
Geological Survey, US: National Biological Service
Geological Service, US (USGS):
- Measurement of Stream Discharge by Wading. CD-ROM. USGS produced this multimedia training CD. Published as: Water Resources Investigations Report 00-4036. Contact: K. Michael Nolan at the US Geological Survey for further information (kmnolan"at"usgs.gov).
- National Training Center: Online, CDRom, Class
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
Office of Personnel Management
USGS - See "Geological Service, US"
Berkeley, UC Davis
Colorado State University: Online/Distance Learning Degree Program
University of Florida: Earn a Certificate in Natural Areas Management by completing five workshops conferred by The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and IFAS Extension.
University of Idaho - College of Natural Resources:
- Masters of Natural Resources
Rather than the traditional thesis-based Master of Science (M.S.) graduate program, the MNR program is course-based program of 30 semester credits, culminating with an oral presentation of a case study project. Students select a suite of courses from four major categories. The program of courses may be taken entirely on-line, on-campus, or a combination of both. In contrast to the emphasis on research as in the thesis or doctoral programs, the MNR program focuses on breadth across natural resource disciplines and is designed as a terminal degree.
*The University of Idaho offers courses and programs helping meet educational requirements to qualify for GS-0401 series of federal employment in fire. These are outlined in the Interagency Fire Program Management standards, and they include completing a bachelor's degree or at least 24 course credits that are required as part of a B.S. degree in forestry, fire, natural resources or closely related field. The individual courses in University of Idaho certificate are part of the requirements for a B.S. degree in Fire Ecology and Management. More than 800 people participated in online fire courses within the last five years.
University of Maryland: Online Education/Distance Learning
- Population Biology and General Ecology
- Pesticides and the Environment
- Natural Science
- Principles of Genetics
MIT (Massachusettes Insitute of Technology) - Online MIT OpenCourseWare. A free and open educational resource (OER) for educators, students, and self-learners around the world.
Montana State University: Masters of Science degree program - Online
- Launched in 2012 - online Masters of Science (M.S.) in Land Resources and Environmental Sciences. This is a course-based, non-thesis program with a professional paper requirement. Students are not required to be on the Montana State University (MSU) campus for any portion of their program. The M.S. program in Land Resources and Environmental Sciences is designed to provide outstanding graduate opportunities across a substantial breadth of disciplinary interests. Programs are specifically adapted to each graduate student and often address processes at multiple scales through well-integrated, multi-disciplinary efforts. The flexible and interdisciplinary nature of this program allows students to select courses to fit their professional goals and interests.
University of Montana: Continuing Education > Division of Natural Resource Management
- Online Wilderness in the Wilderness Context 406-243-4630. Done in conjunction with Arthur Carhart National Wilderness Training Center.
Lewis & Clark Law School, Environmental & Natural Resources Law Program
- Not Online - coming soon. Starting fall 2013, Lewis & Clark Law School offering a one-year Master of Studies degree in environmental law. (It can also be done part-time for longer.) This will be a non-law degree for folks who want to learn about environmental law, but who don't want to be a lawyer or spend 3-4 years in law school. Students will take environmental law classes from law professors.
Oregon State University
- OSU "E-Campus" 800-667-1465 or 541-737-9204
- OSU: Distance Learning with the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
- Management Principles of Salmon in the Pacific NW
- Biology of Birds
- Principles of Wildlife Conservation
- Wildlife in Agricultural Systems
- Multicultural Perspectives in Natural Resources
- Survey of GIS in Natural Resources
- OSU: Distance Learning with the Department of Natural Resources
- Forest biology
- Wildlife ecology
- Rangeland management
- Wetlands and riparian ecology
- Natural resources policy and law
Portland State University:
- Center for Public Service (formerly:Executive Leadership Institute) -
- School of Extended Studies Environmental Professional Program -
Wetland, Stream & Restoration Professional Training
- Wetland Plant Workshop for Non-Botanists (One-day)
- Wetland Sedges, Grasses and Rushes
- Wetland Plants of the Pacific Northwest
- Erosion Control: Project Assessment, Design, Installation, Maintenance, and Monitoring
- Monitoring & Maintenance of Constructed Wetlands, Waterways, and Associated Wetlands
- Writing Successful Environmental Grant Proposals
Texas A&M University: Online
Western Governors University
- Varied Topics (& Degrees): go to "catalog" and scroll the "Field of Study" drop down box:
- Physical Science (earth science, geology, hydroecology)
- Parks, Recreation, Leisure (nothing related to natural resources at this time)
- Social Science & History
- Mathmatics (Statistics!)
- Biological Sciences
- And much more....
Utah State University
Online Courses USU also offers satellite courses.
- Natural Resources Masters (MNR)
- Applied Environmental Geoscience
- English - Technical Writing
- And much more....
College of Natural Resources
Department of Environment and Society:
Department of Watershed Sciences
Department of Wildland Resources:
- Courses - do a search for "CANVAS" to sort out the Online courses
Washington State University
University of Washington - Professional & Continuing Education
- Science - Statistics and Experimental Design
- Math - Statistical Analysis with R Programming
- Environmental & Sustainabililty
- Climate Change & Energy
- Climate Literacy
- Decision Making for Climate Change
- GIS (Masters)